Free Confidential Consultation. Call Now! 410-299-4959

Maryland Property Title Transfer Attorney: How to Correct a Deed or Update it Upon Death of the Grantor

Deed_Property_Title_Company_Attorney_MarylandIf you have a Maryland property deed that needs to be updated after the death of one of the owners, it may be possible to accomplish this by filing a Maryland Deed of Correction, also called a Corrective Deed.

For example if the Grantor originally created a Life Estate Deed giving the Grantees title to the property in fee-simple, but retaining a life estate and then died, this Deed could now be updated with a Corrective Deed. Without updating the Deed the Maryland SDAT records will still list the Grantor as owner of the property, so too with the county land records department.

To ensure your deed transfer is drafted and filed correctly under Maryland and county laws, call or e-mail now for a free confidential consultation: Maryland property title transfer lawyer Stephen J. Reichert at 410-299-4959, or by clicking here.

Day, evening and weekend appointments are available in office or at your residence; serving client throughout Maryland.

Also Relevant Under Maryland Law

“No deed, mortgage, or deed of trust may be recorded unless it bears the certification of an attorney at law that the instrument has been prepared by an attorney or under an attorney’s supervision, or a certification that the instrument was prepared by one of the parties named in the instrument.”