Free Confidential Consultation. Call Now! 410-299-4959

Modifying: Maryland Deed vs. Mortgage

Deed_Drafting_Recording_Maryland_AttorneyWhile adding a name to a Maryland property deed can be done by filing a new property deed (often referred to as “property title”) with the county, you need to check first with your lender to see if doing so will trigger early payment or penalties. In other words, sometimes the lender agreement prohibits transferring interest in real property–including adding someone to that interest–without consent from the lender. Additionally, there are specific county regulations that must be followed when drafting and filing a deed, including obtaining a lien certificate and properly listing tax exemptions (if they apply). For this you should consult an attorney.

Adding someone else to the mortgage isn’t so much a legal question as it is a question for your lender. They will have a policy in place, from the agreement you signed with them, as to how and if someone can be added to the loan.

For a free, confidential conversation to discuss this and other Maryland property law matters, including drafting, filing and recording Maryland property deeds, contact Maryland property law lawyer Stephen J. Reichert at 410-299-4959, or by clicking here.

Day, evening and weekend appointments are available in office or at your residence. Mr. Reichert personally serves clients throughout the entire state of Maryland.

Attorney Reichert looks forward to assisting you with your Maryland property law, property title and real estate deed issues.